Sunday, June 7, 2009

CHILDHOOD MEMORIES

Alka Seltzer...My mom always used this stuff and I thought it was disgusting.

The good old green stamps. My mom saved a bunch of these so she could buy me a ukulele for 3rd grade, I had Miss Wells and she taught us all how to play. I still have the ukulele, I wish I would have kept the file folder of music that went with it.

Outhouses...(Don't have a picture of ours but still have the memories. I will have to ask the aunts if they have a picture)
Drive in: (Mom used to be a car hop at this one. Always the place to eat when we go home. Although the original owner does not own it anymore. Still has the nostalgia.)
45 rpm spindles. (When my kids were young I pulled out the record player and records to show them, we played them and danced. Matt looked up at me and said " Gee mom, you guys had big CD's...ouch!!!)
Metal ice cube trays. (We bought our new fridge about 4 years ago and the saleslady could not believe we did not have an automatic ice maker.)
roller skate key. 
Drive in movies...the best of times. I have a lot of great memories, Mom used to put our hair up in those darn pink rollers on Saturday night, then we would go to the drive in. We usually fell asleep but is was so fun to be outside and enjoy a movie. I also went there alot as a teenager on dates and with friends. If Toot is reading this....you know what I am talking about, and just in case you don't here is a reminder...the roof!!!!
The old washtub ringer. Both my grandmas had one of these and it was so fun to watch them do laundry.

Penny candy. When at my Grandma Starich's house, she used to take me to this house and they had a store in their basement that just sold candy...She used to let us pick out one thing and it was a BIG decision. (That kind of sounds creepy now, that this man had a candy store in his basement. Thank goodness grandma was always with us)
We thought we hit it big time when we got jiffy pop instead of making popcorn in the old wire popcorn basket we used to use over the stove or fire. 
snail mail...
I loved these but never learned how to make them. 
Flash bulbs...I remember mom always having to buy flash bulbs for her camera. In fact my first camera had the square flash bulbs, it would turn automatically when you took the picture, then after four pictures you needed a new flashbulb. I love my digital camera!!!!!
Old Yeller...*tear tear
Fire escape tubes.
Lassie...everyone wanted a dog like Lassie
Ding Dong...Avon calling
Aluminum Christmas Trees...My grandparents had one of these. Grandma gave it to me a few years before she passed away. This is also the kind of tree Pete had when he was a little boy.
If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!

1 comments:

Lehigrams said...

TLhe little basement store was Bonnso's. It was so much fun to go there. And me and my grandkids just popped one of those popcorn thingys on our fire pit last week. They couldn't believe when the foil started to expand. Thanks for the memories.