Thursday, June 4, 2009

SUNSET....

This is what I get to see from my front yard. 
Sunsets are not only beautiful but have a special meaning.


Jen wrote this when she was in High School 
and was spending one weekend a month on the 
Golden Bear during her time as a Naval Sea Cadet.
Our Sunset
My first weekend at the California Maritime Academy, we had two hours of free time before lights went out. It was getting near sunset, so I decided I would go out and walk along the rocky beach and wait for the sun to say good night. The sky was painted with shades of every beautiful color that you can imagine. The colors overlapping to form newer colors, and those newer colors were overlapping to make even newer ones. 

The coldness started getting to me, and since I was only wearing a T-shirt and old sweats. I rolled myself into a ball trying to keep warmer so I could stay and watch this beautiful sight.
I couldn't take the coldness anymore, so I tried to get up and leave. My attempt to get up failed, and a warmth swept over me. I was suddenly blanketed with a fuzzy feeling, and no longer felt the desire to leave. In those few seconds my great grandpa Starich came to mind. The feeling that had all of a sudden over came me, was a great spiritual feeling.

I thought of all the good times we had had together, and thought that this one is just another memory that I will never, ever forget. This nice, comfortable feeling was given to me by him, and it abled me to stay and watch the amazing colors dance across the waves.

That night I got to share a beautiful sunset, and it will always be our sunset. I only regret not being able to see his gorgeous smile, it would've made the sunset more complete (and maybe a nibble on the ears). I am very greatful that after so long I cans have such a beautiful experience with him, even after it's been so long since he left us...though, he hasn't REALLY left us, we just can't see him.
                                                                                               Jenna Mary Jerich (Chastain)

0 comments: