...and I am going through withdrawls!
“What’s a Walnetto?” It’s a small, square caramel candy. Its sweet (but not too sweet) caramelly (doesn't stick to your teeth) goodness and is perfectly offset by the crunch of real walnuts. The taste is simple and wholesome — and completely addictive!!!! Oh, and did I tell you I just ate my last one? I found them at the airport on my stop over in Las Vegas coming home from Jen's house. So it is not like I can run down and get some more. I know they have them in Virginia City, NV...still too far. I think I have bought them at a little candy store in Old Sac...hmmm. Maybe a trip to Sacto this weekend?
Turns out Walnettos have been around for a long time – they were first introduced to the United States in 1919 and were one of the ten best-selling candies in the U.S. through World War II. But after the war, the company was sold more than once, eventually ending up in the hands of Cadbury USA, who discontinued the candy in the 1960s. It seemed Walnettos had disappeared forever, until candy marketer Sandy Licht decided to revive the line and sell them once more. (Thank you, Sandy!)Walnettos have, for the past year, been included in some U.S. military’s MRE’s (meals ready to eat), the food soldiers eat when they are in field. When the Army Times conducted a survey of hundreds of soldiers on the new MRE food items, Walnettos were the only product to score a perfect grade of 25 “spoons.”
Despite their popularity among the troops, and their health value (walnuts are packed with the essential omega-3 fatty acid, making Walnettos virtually a health food…right?). Walnettos are currently only available in specialty candy stores and online.
2 comments:
Awww man! The last piece of candy hurts, don't it?
Did you ever eat Ice Cubes? I used to buy them off the counter at the liquor store (back before "convenience" stores) out of a tub for 15¢ each. Josh said he'd get a tub for me, but they cost $30 and you have to wait until the weather is nice enough for them to ship 'em.
Anyway... I feel ya.
I love ice cubes...they melt in your mouth. yummy!!!
Post a Comment